Students thinking globally, reporting locally

JETStream

Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

Harriet Tubman has been slated to replace President Andrew Jackson on the 20 dollar bill.

No worries, Jackson will still have a spot on the green paper. On the back, that is.

Back in 2015, the U.S. Treasury debated on releasing a new 10 dollar bill in 2020, but instead of first U.S. Secretary of Treasury Alexander Hamilton on the bill, there would be a historic woman of choice on the bill. Luckily for Hamilton, the musical Hamilton saved him by causing him to become immensely popular by blending history with a modern beat.

However, the U.S. Treasury has elected to remove Jackson from the front. Harriet Tubman’s main role stemmed back in the 1850s, back when slaves worked to escape from their masters by escaping to Canada, where slavery wasn’t allowed. They used the Underground Railroad, and Tubman was known for being one of the conductors. She bravely guided the former-slaves to slavery, but not much slaves escaped via the Underground Railroad, truthfully. Most of them were caught anyways, and it was difficult to sneak by due to the Fugitive Slave Act being passed in 1850, which tried to enforce the capture of escapees.

Why was Jackson on the bill in the first place? While he did abuse his federal power and destroyed the Bank of the U.S. (which  Hamilton established!) and crippled the U.S. economy until the 1900s… he did introduce Jacksonian Democracy, which enacted the rise of the common man and in his two terms, he balanced the budget and had little national debt. But many Americans find him useless because he did some less than desirable things such as pass the Tariff of Abominations in 1828, Indian Removal Act in 1830 (which led to the Trail of Tears in 1838-1839), and owned a lot of slaves. In that case, it seems odd that they have the two on the same bill.

Conservatives are not a huge fan of the decision, and our favorite political clown, Donald Trump, has joyously agreed with Ben Carson that Andrew Jackson was a great president with a great history. Hm.

Personally, I think that the idea of having a woman on the 20 dollar bill is great. And an African American woman? Awesome! But Harriet Tubman wouldn’t necessarily be my first choice… here’s why.

• Her main role was helping the slaves escape. Even then, not much of them escaped.
  • Has she done anything monumental like… perhaps advancing the women’s rights movement? Her only contribution is expanding the role of females. But many have done that.
  • My ideal choice would be Elizabeth Cady Stanton, who spoke with Lucretia Mott at the Seneca Falls Convention in 1848 and announced her Declaration of Sentiments. Funnily enough, the reason she was inspired to speak out was because she went with her husband to attend an anti-slavery convention and wasn’t allowed to sit down because she was a woman. Either way, from that point onward, she has become a major figure in the feminist movement by advocating for women’s suffrage.
  • Another woman who contributed greatly would be Harriet Beecher Stowe, who published Uncle Tom’s Cabin in 1852 and rose international awareness of the typical slave’s life. This galvanized the nation and caused the anti-slavery advocates to rise in number.
  • Betty Friedan’s The Feminine Mystique managed to get Congress to attempt at passing the Equal Rights Amendment.
  • Other women like Eleanor Roosevelt, the Grimke sisters, etc. also were big parts of the feminist movement.

Nonetheless, I don’t mind Tubman’s being on the 20 dollar bill. I just wish those women from history will be recognized by people besides the kids who took APUSH in high school.

What do you think? Should Harriet Tubman be on the 20 dollar bill?

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?”

1. ? on April 22nd, 2016 4:16 pm

I feel it’s a bit controversial to me, personally

[Reply]

2. Anonymous on May 19th, 2016 10:32 am

I think that we should just keep the 20 dollar bill the same as it has always been

[Reply]

3. anon on July 10th, 2016 3:39 am

I believe that Harriet Tubman is a wonderful choice for the twenty dollar bill. I think it’s absolutely delightful that an ex-slave African-American woman who did her part in helping to abolish slavery can get the recognition she rightfully deserves.

[Reply]

Bri Reply:

I agree with you

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

Showcase

JAMES CLEMENS SWEEPS SECTION 4 CLASS 7A SECTION TRACK &FIELD CHAMPIONSHIP

• Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

School News

Staying Alive During AP Exams

• Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

Showcase

JAMES CLEMENS TRACK TEAM SWEEPS THE HUNTSVILLE METRO CHAMPIONSHIP

• Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

Showcase

Hacks to Being More Successful

• Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

Showcase

St. Patrick’s Day

• Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

Creative Corner

6 Plants to Grow for a Beginner Gardener

• Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

People of JC

Baseball and Softball Promos by JetsPress

• Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

People of JC

Clubs and Why They Help You in High School

• Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

Opinion

What to do During Spring Break

• Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?

Around Huntsville

UAH Charger Con!

Harriet Tubman on the 20 dollar bill?