Students thinking globally, reporting locally

JETStream

JETS BLANK DECATUR IN JAMBOREE

The wait is finally over! After a heartbreaking exit from last year’s playoffs at the hands of Spain Park, the James Clemens Jets were thrilled to get the new season started. The football Jets kicked off their 2016 campaign with a 35-0 win in the jamboree against the Decatur Red Raiders Thursday night.

James Clemens, ranked #1 in the state of Alabama by MaxPreps, entered the game with a few questions on offense. Who’s going to start at quarterback with Heath Burchfield graduating earlier this year? Who will handle the workload at running back with starter Devon Atkinson being out for the season with a leg injury? On the defensive side of the ball, the Jets come into the season returning the majority of what was arguably the best defense in Alabama in 2015. With returning starters like top ranked player in Alabama LaBryan Ray, Alabama commit Kyriq McDonald, and Harvard commit John Jenkins, expectations are high for the Jets defense.

The Jets defense came out of the gates swinging, with linebacker Monty Rice intercepting a Decatur pass on what was only the fourth play of the game. Defensive back, Chris Sanders also intercepted a pass in the second quarter. As the game went on, the Red Raiders were able to gain a few yards on the JC defense but it seemed as if they were never able to cross the 50-yard line and get into scoring range, ultimately going scoreless on the night.

Offensively, the Jets showed a lot of promise, especially with new senior starting running back Bradley Belt. Belt, who hasn’t played football since his freshman year, looked as if he belonged on the field, running better than anyone could have anticipated and scoring three touchdowns on the night. Senior receiver, Immanuel Wilder also scored on a screen pass thrown by senior quarterback Jackson Nowlin. Nowlin also scored a touchdown on a second quarter run from about 10 yards out. The Jets offense ended up with 5 touchdowns on 16 first downs and 375 yards, 261 of those yards coming on the ground.

The Junior Varsity team played the majority of the second half, helping to assure the shutout over the Red Raiders.

James Clemens will open up their regular season at 6A Gardendale High next Friday.