Students thinking globally, reporting locally

JETStream

He For She: What Really is Gender Equality?

Vaishnavi Mantraratnam, Staff Writer

Feminism.

Some hate it. Others, like as Emma Watson, believe in it. We all know who Emma Watson is. Whether you’re a die-hard Harry Potter fan, watching and obsessing over the books and movies, or The Perks of Being a Wallflower fan, or enjoyed the film Noah, you probably have heard the name Emma Watson before.

Watson, after graduating from Brown University, has been made the United Nations Women Global Goodwill Ambassador. In her speech on feminism on September 20, she said, “We want to end gender inequality, and to do this, we need everyone involved… We want to try to galvanize as many men and boys as possible to be advocates for change and we don’t just want to talk about it. We want to try and make sure that it’s tangible.”

Feminism isn’t a dirty word. It isn’t man-hating, which is a common misconception. Feminism is when males and females get equal pay at work. It’s when they both have equal rights. It isn’t when one sex has an advantage over the other. As Watson said, “For the record, feminism, by definition, is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.”

To end gender inequality, as Watson said, we need men and women to work together. Women aren’t the only people suffering from gender inequality. Men are too! Everyday, boys are forced to act manly and not “as sensitive as girls.” They are often told by society to not be a “sissy” and show emotions. Meanwhile, girls are made to be more proper and ladylike by our so-called perfect society. It’s 2014 already; shouldn’t we have already accomplished gender equality?

To solve this problem, men must also get involved. They all have mothers, sisters, girlfriends, wives, daughters, nieces, and aunts who are affected by gender inequality every day. When gender equality is reached, boys will be able to freely express their emotions freely, without getting made fun of. If males don’t have to be aggressive, “women won’t be compelled to be submissive. If men don’t need to control, women won’t have to be controlled.”

If we don’t change now, who will do it for us? And when will they do it for us? If you want to support the He for She cause, post a selfie on social media with the hashtag #heforshe. If you want to watch the original speech by Emma Watson, go here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0Dg226G2Z8&app=desktop

1 Comment

One Response to “He For She: What Really is Gender Equality?”

1. Trevonta Ja'Quileson on January 9th, 2017 2:24 pm

My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, ‘If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.’. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- ‘Don’t ever smoke. Please don’t put your family through what your Grandfather put us through.” I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because your post gave me cancer anyway.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• He For She: What Really is Gender Equality?

Showcase

JAMES CLEMENS SWEEPS SECTION 4 CLASS 7A SECTION TRACK &FIELD CHAMPIONSHIP

School News

Staying Alive During AP Exams

Showcase

JAMES CLEMENS TRACK TEAM SWEEPS THE HUNTSVILLE METRO CHAMPIONSHIP

Showcase

Hacks to Being More Successful

Showcase

St. Patrick’s Day

Creative Corner

6 Plants to Grow for a Beginner Gardener

People of JC

Baseball and Softball Promos by JetsPress

People of JC

Clubs and Why They Help You in High School

Opinion

What to do During Spring Break

Around Huntsville

UAH Charger Con!