Students thinking globally, reporting locally

JETStream

Isn’t Now the Future?

Maddie O'Donnell, Staff Writer

Everyone is rushing to get the new iPhone 6. Apparently, it’s supposed to be the new thing. Apple even calls it “bigger than bigger.” It makes sense since the phone is larger now, but what will it lead to?

In the 1980s and 1990s, we believed that the 2000s would be the new age. Technology would be so amazing that it would rule our lives. However, that hasn’t happened yet. At least, not in the way that those screenwriters and authors believed. Yes, technology does control our lives, but we still don’t have a teleportation device. We still haven’t created spacecrafts that can travel at light speed.

Is the new iPhone going to lead to more? The phone is thinner than the last, and that leads us to believe that in just a few years, the phone will be practically nothing at all–just a screen.

Yes, Apple created a watch that is a bit like a phone, but doesn’t another company have that already? LG has one. It isn’t a new concept. In fact, past movies have had watches that communicate. I mean, just pick up any spy movie and the main character is always speaking into his wrist. Apple didn’t create something unimaginable. Now, maybe if it was a necklace, that would be different.

If you watch any television show taking place in the near future, they have so much more technology than we do. In maybe three decades, lives are technology. Robots roam the earth, and we have clothes with technology in them. How cool would it be to just bring your wrist up to your ear to make a phone call, with nothing in your hand at all?

People are wanting more from companies, yet they seem to be going at a snail’s pace to give us what we want. They say a company has been able to make a bendable phone, almost like rubber. When will that come out? Or will they wait years and years, egging us on

New technology has been coming at us faster and faster in the past thirty years. Yet, the people of the world are still wanting more and more from scientists and engineers. Some find it impossible to believe that we are only now getting fingerprint password protected phones. According to the 1980s, we should have had that years ago.

So, what does the future hold for us? And how soon is it going to happen? When I was a child, I believed that we’d have hovercars by now, yet we still don’t drive around like they did in Star Wars. This phone is a step closer, but don’t other phone companies have devices like the iPhone 6 from years ago? When are we going to have flying cars? Because, to tell you the truth, I really want to fly just down the street to get a loaf of bread.