Students thinking globally, reporting locally

JETStream

Filed under School News, Showcase

Kiss-A-Pig Contest for Recycling Bins

Today marked a day filled with kisses and adorable piglets. Dozens of high schoolers gathered around the landing area to witness the cutest event James Clemens has ever hosted. As Dr. Clayton and Mr. Anderson leaned in to smooch Tulip, the small piglet, the tiny squeaks of Tulip joined the “oohs” and “awws” of the onlookers.

The James Clemens Environmental Club organized a Kiss-A-Pig fundraiser to raise money for the new recycling program being implemented at JC. Over the past couple of months they’ve been working to build a collaborative relationship with Republic Services, a recycling company and the larger JCHS and Madison community in order to establish a recycling initiative here at James Clemens. As a start, with the help of the students and faculty, they have raised funds to purchase recycling bins.

This fundraiser started two weeks ago, with five faculty members in the running: Dr. Clayton, Mr. Smith, Col. Taylor, Coach Bell, and Mr. Anderson. The two people (one teacher and one faculty member) with the largest amount of money in their jars were the lucky kissers of the pigs. These two people were Dr. Clayton and Mr. Anderson. The piglets were from Piggy Patch farms, a farm in Cleveland, Alabama that sells miniature pigs as household pets. Representatives from Piggy Patch Farms brought two cute piglets: one was a 3-week-old black and white baby cleverly named Jennifer Hamiston, and the other was a 7-week-old brown piglet named Tulip. More information about Piggy Patch Farms can be found here. Mayor Troy Trulock joined the fun, attending the event and speaking to the administrators about the recycling program.

Mrs. Lilavois, the official sponsor of the Environmental Club spoke to us about the plans for the Environmental Club. “Our goal is to provide a recycling bin to every classroom and to other locations throughout James Clemens as well, including the hallways and the cafeteria, and, with the collaboration of our DD department, to collect the recyclables regularly. We want to provide each student with easy access to recycling so that we can lead the way educate our JCHS community by reducing our amount of waste so that we can do our part to help protect our environment.”

As the Environmental Club takes a big step to reduce our global footprint through the kiss-a-pig contest, we as students of James Clemens must help out any way we can to make our community a more eco-friendly environment. Although the Environmental Club is organizing the recycling program, the efforts to increase recycling is a school-wide effort, not just a club effort.