JETStream

Filed under Showcase, Student Life

Procrastination? I Think… Not!

So, during your plentiful years of schooling, you may have come across a very particular situation… a due date. Now, as you think of this project, assignment, or whatever might be due, you think to yourself ,“I can do this tomorrow.” The thought repeats itself everyday until the due date has approached… the very next day! Frantically, you finish the project, assignment, reading, etcetera, and you lose sleep in the process.

Procrastination is a problem that many students at James Clemens face frequently. Instead of working on the assignment, we waste time doing anything but. This pressure builds up slowly over time and the effects of procrastination will loom over your head. So, how can we beat procrastination? Here are a few tips and strategies that have helped me and will hopefully help you overcome the problem of procrastination.

• Eliminate distractions. Usually procrastination occurs when we find something that is much more interesting than what we are currently doing. Whether that be listening to the latest music album, catching up on a TV show, or mindlessly snacking on some food, try and limit the time you spend on these activities. Remind yourself that what you are working on is much more important than what you think is more interesting at the moment. Read and do schoolwork in a quiet environment, away from noise. You are more likely to focus this way.
  • Split tasks into chunks of time. I particularly enjoy using the Pomodoro Technique when organizing how to use my time. The Pomodoro Technique, developed by Francesco Cirillo, is a way to work on a task by breaking it down into time intervals and taking small breaks in between intervals. Using this method keeps you from becoming unfocused after spending too much time on one task. If you are interested in learning more, go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomodoro_Technique. (I know it’s Wikipedia but it does a good job of explaining the method.)
  • Figure out how you study. Everyone is different and learns in a different way. Some people use music to help them concentrate, others find music to be distracting. Some people find that pictures help them understand concepts better, others like to listen to the concepts being explained out loud. I have also met people who work very well by studying the day before a test; while that is not efficient for everyone, the student may enjoy working under pressure. With different ways of learning, comes different ways of studying. Find out how you learn best and use that to your advantage when you review information. This way you won’t spend time reviewing something that wastes your time, thus eliminating procrastination.
  • Motivation is key. Always find a way to become motivated on whatever you are doing. Creating a checklist or writing down a list of tasks to do over a week is very beneficial as it solidifies a plan for you to follow. Now that a plan is down in writing, it will help you remember that those tasks are present. Give yourself a pep talk, preferably using a mirror, or remind yourself of the bigger reason you are working for. If all else fails, use food to consistently reward yourself. Then, get to work. Remember that you should always reward yourself after finishing a task. Too much of anything is never a good thing!